Sunday, May 10, 2009

Unsinkable Memories

Living in L.A. amongst the Malibu glitterati was quite an experience for a Nebraska boy. I remember my boss coming back from a script pitch to Jim Cameron; Mr. Cameron gave the boss man a poster of the Titanic, as he was making a new movie about the ill-fated ship somewhere down in Mexico. We thought, who would want to see another movie about the Titanic? As it turns out, most everyone (our script didn't survive the pitch). A few years later, I signed up with a trainer at a gym in Malibu - he spent our first session telling me about how he had to physically support Kate Winslet, underwater, as she navigated the flooded passageways in the lower decks of the ship in that same movie (well, the film-set version of the ship). Apparently there were several takes, and a good time was not necessarily had by all. He worked me so hard I developed a high fever and had to stay in bed for three days. Would have been better off supporting Kate. So I feel a certain kinship with these ice cube molds - not only can I recreate history with a little ice Titanic and little iceberg, but also I can experience a cocktail-induced six degrees of separation with the famous film. Sans Kevin Bacon.