Friday, August 28, 2009

The New Fondue

A couple of years ago I was dragging my aching feet and legs on the last day of the massive International Home & Housewares trade show in Chicago, bleary-eyed and convinced if I saw one more variation on a can opener I would scream. Suddenly into my limited field of vision appeared a photo of a small pizza; being male, I started to involuntarily salivate (it's a Pavlovian conditioned response common to our gender). Drawn as if by rare earth magnets to the booth with the pizza picture, I first gazed upon a really great idea that they promoted as "the New Fondue." It was The Pizza Dome; they weren't quite ready to release it in the states, but they were gauging interest, and I was interested. It's an authentic, electric-powered, portable brick oven for your home for cooking pizza, calzones and other baked goodies the way you might gather around to cook fondue. It comes with 6 individual spatulas, a special dough cutter to cut out perfectly sized mini-pizzas, and a cookbook with recipe ideas. Gather together the ingredients you and your guests might like on a pizza: cheese, sauces, meats, veggies, pineapple, olives, anchovies, whatever; put them in bowls, fondue style; cut out a circle of dough (made from scratch or store-bought) with the cutter; choose your ingredients for your own special mini-pizza, put it on the spatula and put it in the dome for 6-8 minutes (plenty of time to create the NEXT mini-pizza you want). A great way to bring together the family for a dinner at the table; friends for a fun gathering; or several males with the aforementioned Pavlovian conditioned response (better buy extra ingredients). This would be a fantastic wedding or housewarming gift, or a gift for that special person or couple that "has everything." The bonus for me? It's now available at The Afternoon. Oh, and yes, they had pizza samples at the booth in Chicago. Gets me every time.