Monday, November 16, 2009

Gifts for the Golfer

Well, I was finally forced into it. After not lifting a golf club for about 30 years, I was coaxed into a "best ball" round with several friends of varying levels of skill. It was a beautiful afternoon, sunny, around 70 degrees, and the course was uncrowded. To my estimable surprise, I had a great time. The samurai swordsman believed that the goal of the expert was to again become like the novice: the novice, when attacked, does not think or analyze how to defend himself, he just does whatever is necessary in the moment to not get killed. The expert swordsman was supposed to draw on all his skill and training but likewise have the "mind of no mind," and be absolutely present in the moment to respond to whatever was happening, rather than wondering what move he should make next. Well, I pulled off the novice part of it pretty well on the course, with very little analysis and a fair amount of trying not to get killed. And I hit a few really good shots; I was also frequently happy that we were playing "best ball." Golf is truly addictive, and committed golfers love golf-related gifts. We have some really fun items for the golfer (and the duffer) this year; even if you live in a climate where golf will soon be a memory until next spring, these goodies will help keep the faith.